We at Medicircle are constantly working on bringing to our audience all the trending health-related topics. It is our primary objective to bring to your attention news and views you need to be aware of to lead a healthy disease-free life. To help us in this regard we’d be joined by eminent and expert top doctors from across the country. Today in Doctor’s Speak we are going to talk about the problem of Arthritis and ways to help you deal with it.
Dr. Prashant Jain is a Classical Ayurveda Rheumatologist located in Delhi for the last 12 years & providing Ayurvedic Consultation and Treatment to society since 2014. He is also part of Continuing Ayurveda Education in association with different Ayurveda Companies. He is also one of few Certified Ayurvedic Medical Cannabis doctors in India.
Types of arthritis
Dr. Prashant says, “Arthritis is a broad term that includes subcategories of diseases. Arthritis means joint pain or swelling of joints. Reasons for this can be
1. Rheumatoid arthritis - The undigested foods accumulate in joints and cause inflammation and pain.
2. Gouty arthritis – Excess intake of protein that doesn't get metabolized, and converted into urea or uric acid. The build-up of uric acid causes gouty arthritis.
3. Osteoarthritis – Age-related changes that result in degenerative joints disease. It is the result of wear and tear of bones and cartilage (absence of lubrication) as people age.
Dr. Prashant adds, “Treatment for arthritis is purely based on the cause. Therefore, it is necessary to find out the exact cause of joint pain and then treat the disease. So, there is no medicine specifically designed for arthritis.
Ayurvedic treatment for arthritis
Dr. Prashant mentions, “In rheumatoid arthritis, the undigested food or free radicals or toxins get built up in joints and cause pain. Generally, arthritis pain starts with small joints, affects mobility, and if left untreated, can permanently damage the joint. In Ayurveda, the treatment process varies from other alternative systems of medicine. The alternative system acts by treating the pain while in Ayurveda, we never treat the symptoms, we treat the root cause of the problem. Treating the root cause will automatically treat the symptoms.
Dr. Prashant expresses, “Different types of arthritis show different symptoms. In rheumatoid arthritis, small joints are the ones that are affected first. Rheumatoid arthritis causes joint pain, swelling, reduced mobility, and physical weakness. General tiredness, trouble sleeping, and exhaustion are other common symptoms. It can also cause permanent damage. All these things can greatly hamper a patient’s everyday life and overall well-being. If the problem of arthritis is diagnosed at an early age, then we can avoid such a situation of permanent damage. Arthritis patients can't bear extreme cold and hot temperatures. It’s an autoimmune disorder. Owing to a bad lifestyle, the body's balance gets disturbed. Its early diagnosis can treat 90-95% of the disease.”
“In osteoarthritis, pain starts in the knees. Knees are the weight-bearing joints. Swelling of knee joints, knee pain, reduced mobility (physical limitations), backache, and trouble sleeping are some common symptoms. Over a period of time, joint pain becomes your financial burden. Joint pain affects the overall quality of life. It would be good if we address the problems in their initial stage.”
“People with arthritis experience mental health conditions due to loneliness (socially isolated) depression. The condition negatively impacts social connections and psychological wellbeing. It drastically affects your professional and functional life; altogether, arthritis impairs the quality of life,” states Dr. Prashant.
Dr. Prashant emphasizes, "We cannot cure the disease completely. Treatment depends on the type of arthritis and its stage. Age-related changes cannot be treated but we can opt for lifestyle management. Ayurveda believes that one maintains health by being healthy first and then comes the option of treating diseases. It would be good if we follow a healthy lifestyle to live a healthy life free from any disease condition. And Ayurveda can play a vital role in keeping you fit, and healthy.”
Lifestyle modification tips for arthritis
Dr. Prashant shares some tips for arthritis
1. Weight reduction is helpful in any kind of arthritis.
2. The patient should take turmeric milk (golden milk) as turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory properties and helps in reducing inflammation.
3. Consuming ginger is very good for arthritis. Include cumin and carom seeds in your daily diet.
4. Keep your digestion good, it will help in improving metabolism.
5. Limit intake of curd and avoid taking naps during the day.
6. Regular yoga, meditation, and brisk walking are very important.
7. Massage your body (joints) with oil regularly but RA patients should refrain from doing so.
(Edited by Renu Gupta)