Keeping the relation between COVID-19 and steam inhalation of our recent past aside if we look into our distant past, we would find that it has always been one of the popular home remedies during cold and cough to open and soothe our nasal passages.
Steam Inhalation is Always Effective
Water vapor when inhaled, loosens the mucus that is causing congestion in nasal passages, throat, and lungs. If the congestion is not very severe, steam inhalation alone can be the cure. If the congestion is more than moderate the body cannot fight it off with steam inhalation alone but there is an immense relief, during as well as after the inhalation process. Breathing becomes much easier.
Simple Home Remedy but Keep Some Points in Mind
- Water vapor is advisable to fight congestion but does not make it so hot that you are not able to put your face above the water
- Do not have children around as they might accidentally push you resulting in major burns from hot water
- The same applies to the pets, never keep them around
- Ensure that your face is not closer than 8-12 inches to the hot water. Do not lean on the bowl of water
- Do not get irritated early, spend at least 5 – 6 mins slowly inhaling the steam
- If you feel very hot at the beginning, you can put your head out of the towel slowly without disturbing the bowl of water otherwise you will pour it on yourself. Do this twice or thrice and then you will start feeling comfortable
- Steam inhalation does not have side effects and you can take it as many times as you want
- The surface on which you have kept the bowl of water should be a plain one so that the bowl does not get accidentally tumbled down
- Steam inhalation is not advisable for very small children.
- The moment you experience uneasiness in your throat or nasal passage, utilize this home remedy before things aggravate.
Some people find steam inhalations before going to bed especially in the winter months soothing and leading to good sleep. You can try it too anytime when you feel very tired and in need of soothing yourself. You can add some drops of therapeutic oil for that therapeutic effect. If you are inhaling steam to get rid of cough and cold, you can add salt, some herbs that are easily available at home like ajwain, or vicks vaporub.