China Sends 30$ Million Extra To WHO After US Halts Funds

▴ China Sends 30 Million Extra To WHO After US Halts Funds
The US, which is the WHO's biggest contributor, accused the WHO last week of "mismanaging" the COVID-19 crisis and soon halted its funding, drawing ire from Beijing as both countries spar over the deadly virus.

China declared Thursday it will give another $30 million to the World Health Organization to help in the worldwide battle against the coronavirus pandemic, days after Washington said it would freeze subsidizing.

"China has chosen to give another $30 million in real money to the WHO, notwithstanding the past gift of $20 million, to help the worldwide battle against COVID-19 and reinforce building up nations' wellbeing frameworks," remote service representative Geng Shuang told customary press instructions.

He added that China's commitment to the UN organization "mirrors the help and trust of the Chinese government and individuals for the WHO".

The US, which is the WHO's greatest giver, blamed the WHO a week ago for "botching" the COVID-19 emergency, drawing fury from Beijing as the two nations fight over the lethal infection.

In declaring the subsidizing freeze a week ago, US President Donald Trump blamed the WHO for concealing the reality of the COVID-19 flare-up in China before it spread.

Trump said US citizens gave between $400 million and $500 million every year to the WHO, while "conversely, China contributes generally $40 million per year and even less".

Tags : #Asia #China #WHO #USA #Funds #COVID

Related Stories

Loading Please wait...