Salmon is a popular fish consumed by many. Their average life span is of 7 years. Its found in both freshwater and saltwater and is well known as it is a superfood. Studies have found that incorporating this fish into your diet has many health benefits.
10 Health benefits obtained from eating salmon
- High in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals
- Lowers risk of many types of cancer
- Fights asthma and diabetes which are chronic diseases
- Reduces rheumatoid arthritis
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease
- Has omega-3 fatty acids which are good for healthy skin, healthy hair, and mental health
- Good to consume during pregnancy
- Improves heart health and helps in lowering cholesterol
- Prevents multiple sclerosis
Tips for using salmon
It can be baked, grilled or sauteed,used in salads and topped or eaten with a side of vegetables. Eating salmon 2 to 3 days in a week in moderate quantities is immensely beneficial for the body. According to medical news today website Six ounces of salmon will contain about 240 calories and salmon is also rich in healthy fats.
Fish have extremely high levels of chemicals in their flesh and fat, including arsenic, mercury, PCBs, DDT, dioxins, and lead. With that catch of the day, you might even get industrial-strength fire retardant. There may be up to 9 million times as much chemical residue in salmon flesh as there is in the water where they live.
Consuming a lot of salmon to reap the benefits could expose you to chemicals that cause cancer. These chemicals are found in wild salmon because the fish swim in potentially polluted waters. Salmon is a versatile fish known for its taste and if eaten in sufficient quantities will always be helpful to an individual.