Every year, September 2 is celebrated as Coconut Day. In order to promote the usage of coconut in our daily lives and highlight the importance of its health benefits, this day is observed. It was started on September 2, 2009, by the Asia Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) to raise awareness and the significance of coconuts and their impact on society. In India, coconuts are used on every auspicious occasion. There is a ritual of breaking coconut before starting something new.
This year's theme for World coconut Day is "Growing coconut for a better future and life".
Coconut health benefits
- Coconut is low in carbs and rich in fibers, thus it is highly useful in controlling or managing blood sugar levels.
- It contains several macro and micronutrients essential for our body. It has potassium, sodium, manganese, vitamin B, copper, and iron. Manganese is beneficial for our bone health. Copper and iron help maintain the count of red blood cells thereby preventing anemia.
- Coconut flesh is high in medium chain triglycerides fats that give instant energy and encourage fat loss in obese people.
- Both essential parts of the coconut, the flesh, and the oil are rich in good cholesterol which is HDL which is very much essential for a healthy heart. This also prevents constipation.
- Coconut has certain antioxidants that fight against all odds and prevent health risks.
- Coconut water has also got several health benefits.
The goodness of eating coconut before going to bed
Eating raw coconut before going to bed adds goodness to your overall health. Raw coconut has a maximum of essential vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, and healthy fats that can prevent your body from putting on weight. Raw coconut is good for the skin also, it solves many of your skin-related problems like pimples, blemishes, etc. Eat a raw coconut before going to bed whenever you get these skin problems and see the results. Insomnia is getting very common due to fast paced life. Increasing stress, depression and anxiety don’t allow you to take a good night's sleep for a productive tomorrow. Eating raw coconut about half an hour before sleeping can help you get a good sleep.
Shredded coconuts also have some potential health benefits provided they are consumed in limited quantities. They are high in saturated fats. Saturated fats if consumed in high quantities can increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases like obesity, and heart diseases. It’s best if you use them to garnish smoothies, and pancakes as garnishing require small quantities.
Hence, include this tasty yet healthy fruit in your daily meal and feel the difference.