All of us have heard about the keto diet. There has been a crazy rave to follow this diet. Social media and the internet are flooded with articles about the keto diet and this is generating buzz among youngsters to follow a keto diet.
In the past year, the keto diet has already been a digital craze. There are innumerable pictures, recipes, miniblogs, vlogs, and more on the internet to give you insights into the keto diet.
What is the keto diet?
For those of you who do not know, the keto diet is one type of weight loss healthy diet that is high in fat, moderate or adequate in protein with zero or no carbs at all. Many people love the keto diet because it allows you to relish healthy fats and protein which is tasty and amazing.
The Keto diet is more than just a healthy weight-loss diet. It has been credited with helping those who suffer from diabetes, Lyme disease, epilepsy, and anxiety. It has been well known to help with the management of several clinical conditions. Many dieticians and nutritionists are in favor of the keto diet. However, if you are suffering some any clinical condition, it is important to consult your doctor before you start following it.
How does a keto diet work?
In ketogenic diets, the theory is that there is little carb intake. This allows the liver to convert fat into ketones and fatty acids. The ketone bodies, in turn, replace glucose as a source of energy. This is how the keto diet works in boosting fat metabolism and helps in converting fat into energy which can be used by the body.
The fat that is consumed in the diet helps convert fat into energy which is used for daily activities. However, it is very important to do physical activity when one is on a keto diet.
Let us remember that fat which is converted into fatty acids and ketones is more acidic and may harm your body if not utilized properly. With ketogenic diets, lower carbs will help reduce your glucose levels and put your body into a phase of ketosis and help reduce your energy supply at some stage.
7 Things to know before you try Keto Diet
Here are important things which you should know before you try the keto diet -
- Increased risk of suffering from high-fat conditions if fats are not utilized in a proper manner
- High cholesterol is possible fallout due to defective fat metabolism
- Side effects of high-fat diets like fatigue, sweating, increased thirst, and increased heart rate which may lead to obesity and fatty liver
- The Keto diet is specifically designed for the medical condition of epilepsy and must be avoided if there is no medical condition.
- The Keto diet may leave you with a higher fat-to-muscle ratio thus changing your body composition
- It may work for the short term in case of weight loss
- Due to a high-fat diet, visceral fat may cause clogged arteries and an increase in abdominal fat.