The basket of choices has already been expanded with introduction of two new methods viz. Injectable contraceptive, Medroxy progesterone Acetate (MPA) and Centchroman (Chhaya). The Government already provides two contraceptive options free of cost for men in the National Family Planning Program viz. Condoms and Male Sterilization. It has also taken a number of initiatives to improve their uptake:reported Health and Family Welfare minister Mr Ashwini Kumar Choubey at Rajya Sabha .
According to him following measures are being taken for effective results
- Observation of ‘Vasectomy Fortnight’ in the month of November every year in all States of India to raise awareness on male participation and promotion of male sterilization.
- Training of service providers in No Scalpel Vasectomy (NSV) to enhance the pool of service providers.
- Condom boxes set up in health facilities to enable clients to access condoms in privacy.
- Delivery of contraceptives to beneficiaries by ASHA under ‘Home Delivery of Contraceptive Scheme’
- Increased compensation for male sterilization under the Enhanced compensation scheme for sterilization, and under Mission ParivarVikas.
- A holistic media campaign underlining the role of men in family planning to encourage men to adopt family planning methods.