Sexual and Reproductive health is often the most neglected topic in society. Rising to the occasion and talking about the problems one faces concerning their sexual and reproductive health can be very difficult. Due to the social awkwardness and taboo, people often neglect their sexual and reproductive health and remain entangled in complications. Minicircle is conducting a series on Sexual and Reproductive Health Awareness showcasing opinions, advice, and guidance directly from the experts
Dr. Sukhwinder Jawahar is a Sexologist and the Chief Ayurvedic Consultant at Sanjiwani Health Centre. Dr. Jawahar has over 35 years of experience as a sexologist in India. He is a certified herbal specialist with extensive specialization in offering natural treatment for male sexual problems and female sexual problems. Dr. Jawahar’s motive is to offer a “Healthy Life” to his patients, he has been offering purely Ayurvedic medicines to generations who look for permanent treatment for their sexual problems.
Sanjiwani Health Center strives to bring into light the problems and their natural solutions for all people to provide a healthier lifestyle. Sanjiwani has provided efficient sexual healthcare services for several years and incorporates herbal treatment that is effective with high success rates.
Violations of Women’s Sexual Rights
Dr. Sukhwinder Jawahar explains, ‘‘Violations of women's sexual and reproductive health rights due to societal values is a deep-rooted and age-old problem. Although with the changing times, people have become understanding and have taken steps to ensure that the problems are taken care of, it is often not enough.” Dr. Sukhwinder Singh lists down some of the major steps that can be taken to influence the mindset of the people:
1.” Education: Illiteracy is one of the major problems when it comes to the violation of women's sexual and reproductive health rights. Often people do not realize that they are in violation, but that can be changed with focused education.
- Social campaigns: Social Campaigns that talk about women's sexual and reproductive health rights are one of the best ways to spread awareness about all the necessary issues. Focused campaigns targeting certain sections of society would ensure a reduction of the violation of these rights.
- Strict Laws: Implementation of strict laws on violators is one of the ways to secure the foundation of the rights,’’ says Dr. Jawahar.
Vital Facts About Sexual Health
Dr. Jawahar mentions, “Sexual Health is a taboo in society, is not a topic with which everyone is familiar. Sexual and reproductive health is an important aspect of a person’s life and there are many things that are taken under consideration. The basic tips that the population should be aware of when concerned with sexual and reproductive health care:
- Sperm analysis: It is important for one to know and understand that sperm count is an essential aspect of a healthy sexual and reproductive condition. A condition is known as Oligospermia is when a man ejaculates an inadequate amount of sperm to impregnate a woman. For conditions like this, one should get proper sperm analysis and treatment to improve their health, as this can be caused by simple factors and can be treated.
- The practice of Safe Sex: Safe sex is an under-rated practice. Often people forget the problems related to sexual and reproductive health and the ways sexually transmitted infections and diseases spread. The practice of safe sex with appropriate protection is important to restrict the spread of STDs and STIs in a country with such high population density,’’ advises Dr. Jawahar.
Awareness, Information, and Communication to Educate Masses about Sexual and Reproductive Health
Dr. Jawahar Emphasizes, ‘‘Awareness, information, and communication are three basic forms of education when it comes to reaching out to people with sexual or reproductive health. Social campaigns that focus on certain regions and groups and education based on sexual and reproductive health are important.
While social campaigns target the older generations, education about sexual and reproductive health at a school level will provide sufficient knowledge to youngsters to understand and break the societal norms of superstition and taboo in the long-run. Moreover, proper education and awareness through information exchange and communication is the best way to reach out to people and teach them the importance of sexual and reproductive health.’’
Key Issues Related to Sexual and Reproductive Health and Lack of Clarity
Dr. Sukhwinder Jawahar lists down the following keys issues that are relevant to the sexual and reproductive health of individuals:
- “Human rights related to sexual health
- Sexual pleasure
- Eroticism and sexual satisfaction
- Sexually transmitted diseases and Infections
- Female genital mutilation
- Sexual dysfunction
- Mental health-related to sexual health”
Dr. Jawahar points out, “Lack of proper education, societal norms, culture, and improper information has made it difficult for people to understand the aspects and act upon them appropriately. Sex, in general, is taboo in our society. The concerns of sexual health areas are ignored as mental health, while it is just as important. While most people do not understand these aspects properly, others ignore them due to societal norms or traditions. There is a lack of clarity regarding who to approach and when to approach.
Although there is a lack of clarity, with proper education and information exchange, there might be a chance to bring to light the importance of the several aspects of sexual and reproductive health. Moreover, proper information exchange can provide the people with the clarity they need to approach and ask for the help needed and find the solutions to their queries,” says Dr. Jawahar.
Edited By- Faryal Siddiqui